A common question our clients have is can minors obtain Portuguese citizenship? There are two situations: Minors born after the parent received the Portuguese citizenship – Here the situation is clear. These minors are Portuguese citizens. The more complex question is the status of minors born to a parent before the parent obtained Portuguese citizenship.
- Minors are not allowed to apply for citizenship according to the law for Sephardi Jews, which allows to receive Portuguese citizenship in a relatively simple procedure. Such applications can be made by adults only! In other words, an application for citizenship as a Sephardi Jew can only be submitted if the applicant is 18 years or older.
- Applying for Portuguese citizenship for minors can only be made after the parent has received Portuguese citizenship – the process of filing a Portuguese citizenship application for a minor can be made only after the parent has received the citizenship. If the parent did not receive Portuguese citizenship, it is not possible for the minor to apply.
- Minors under Fourteen years old, will be granted Portuguese citizenship if their parent is Portuguese.
- Minors over Fourteen years old, will need to show proof of the Minor’s connection to Portugal. The most effective way to show such a connection is to speak Portuguese.
- A minor that has two Portuguese parents, will not need to show a connection to Portugal, even if he is over Fourteen.